Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Its not Road Rage, its being expressive



People think I'm a bad driver. Sure, maybe at times I agree and feel that maybe there's a reason why I failed my driving tests so many times as a teenager, but overall I'm not that bad. I have had some passengers disagree with me about some issues involving driving, so I laid basic ground rules for what not to mention about my driving to me:

A Few Rules to know when driving with me:
1. I never wear my seatbelt, but its recommended that you do.
2. Don't worry when you see me driving with my knee, I do it all the time
3. Blinkers are a thing of the past, its all about the blind spot...
4. I know that I'm riding the white line, be happy I'm not swerving like normal
5. Road Rage is the form of expression I am most comfortable with while driving


All of these "rules" are things that I, at one time or another had a difficult time coming to grips with. Number five, Road Rage, is my recent self defeat. I am very used to telling myself that I don't have a problem with riding the white line or swerving, I told myself that driving with my knee is safer than using my elbow, and that blinkers are a waste of time... and sure, maybe every once in a while there is the moment where I am cussing at the "bad" drivers around me and the thought crosses my mind "Amanda, this son of a bitch doesn't know that he's doing, go around him honking and flipping him off" these thoughts are rare and brief in my mind, I usually drive around the individual with out flipping them off or honking, and just shaking my head at their idiocy.

Yesterday I was driving to Yuba City from Chico. The drive is a long straight stretch south on Highway 99. The road is a notorious death trap where accidents happen all the time due to stupid people passing when there wasn't enough space and time to do so... I was driving down the road, just one car in a massive caravan line. Pretty soon through my rear view mirror I see a white car about 15 cars back passing other cars in the line. Its not like he was really getting that far ahead, it was a line of about 30 cars, and he wants to pass all of them? Within a couple of miles he'd passed all of the cars behind me and was now riding my ass waiting for the chance to pass. My instincts took over...

I was blinded by how pissed off I was that this asshole thinks that he was going to pass me and I wasn't going to say anything about it. I thought about flipping him off, or honking as he drove by, tailgateing him, all too cliche, none of those seemed to quench my thirst for what I wanted to do to this guy, I mean I REALLY was looking to convey a message. Just then he began to pass me. In one motion, without even thinking about it I began to drive with my knee, roll down my window, reach at my dashboard and pick up my staples "Easy" Button and hurl it at the passing car as hard as I could. I hit the car and felt instant gratification. The guy began to look around bewildered and startled. In this istant it dawned on me...

This is why I can't get approved for that concealed weapons permit

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

:) I don't take passengers because of my road rage. I've accidentally flipped off coworkers, I scream, yell, angry gestures. I don't leave enough room for lane hoppers , tailgate if they do pass me, if they are tailgating me I slow way down (and if I see them about to pass, start to make it look like I'm changing into that lane so they have no way to get around)

So yeah, I never drive with passengers. Roy gets to drive whenever it's both of us, he's slightly more cool headed than myself :)

I think a large percentage of people who know me would be suprised by how I act behind the wheel-

but only because I don't want to die thanks to other idiots on the road.